A few tips to help you deal with dry, irritated skin..
What Is Dry Skin?
Dry skin is caused by a lack of water in the top layer of the skin and is a very common skin condition.
What Causes Dry Skin?
Dry skin is often triggered by dry climates and is actually more common during the colder months. We put the central heating on to warm up the house, but this can dry out the skin even more. Other triggers include the use of chemical-based or harsh detergents, soaps or washing powders, changes in hormone levels, even taking long baths or showers.
What are the symptoms of dry skin?
Some common symptoms are sensitive, tight, flaky, red or itchy skin, quite often with rough or dry patches. Dry skin can provoke an itchy sensation that compels us to scratch the affected area. Although scratching can give us some relief, it can lead to further breakdown of the skin’s natural barrier, further irritation and skin damage. This allows the moisture to escape and can cause infection/bacteria to get in.
What can I use to combat and manage dry skin?
If left untreated dry skin can become drier as it loses more moisture through irritation and scratching, causing it to flake and become inflamed. Some suggestions and tips to help manage or prevent the symptoms of dry skin are:
- Wash daily with Elena’s Trinity Soap Shampoo to reduce bacteria and deep cleanse the skin. Towel dry by patting the skin with a towel, not rubbing it.
- Lubricate the skin with Ultimate Body Oil.
- Moisturise little and often with Elena’s Day Cream Special and Night Cream Extra, or for severe flare ups, Elena’s Eureka Cream or Illumination Cream.
- Keep hydrated. Drink plenty of fluids throughout the day.
- Follow a healthy diet which will help keep the skin in top condition including fresh fruit and vegetables, meats and fish that contain necessary vitamins, minerals and rich in Omegas 3, 6 and 7.
For help and advice regarding appropriate Elena’s Nature Collection products for your skin, please call us on +44 (0)1435 882092 / 884090